Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Get Back In Shape Plan

Most couples start to gain weight after they're married, unfortunately the Mr. and I started pretty soon after we got together. Food is a big part of our entertainment; we love to go out to brunch on Sunday mornings and go out for dinner and a movie on nights that I don't work. Needless to say, we're not in the best of shape right now. The Mr. came from a tater tots and chili for dinner kind of family, and I was a classically trained dancer for 15 years. I watched what I ate and danced for about six hours a day, but now I work forty hours a week, take care of the house, and wish that I was healthier.

Lucky for me, the Mr. decided that he was ready for a change, and there's nothing like trying to support him to get me motivated too. We decided to go on the South Beach Diet because I've had good results with it in the past when I was dancing. It's a healthier version of the low carb diet fads... Once you get past the first few weeks you basically eat whole grains, lean protein and lots of fruits and vegetables. So far the Mr. has lost ten pounds and has been working out five days a week. My plan is to start doing a Pilates mat workout at home (I also used to be a Pilates instructor) and make it to the gym four days a week to use the elliptical machine.

Don't worry, this isn't going to turn into a diet blog or a fad wedding diet. I'm just very excited that we're finally getting healthier, and fitting into my old clothes won't be bad either. It takes a lot more time to plan every meal and snack, not to mention cooking all of it, but to be healthier and happier I think it's totally worth it. Maybe I'll even go back to teaching Pilates some...

No comments: